Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Rest in Peace Ricardo Montalban

Ricardo Montalban Pictures, Images and Photos

Ricardo Montalban passed away today at the age of 88. Back when I was a girl and my grandmother would let me stay up late, eating ice cream and watching inappropriate television (like ANY 5 year old should be watching Dallas and The Love Boat?), Ricardo Montalban was a kind of hero for me.

For one, he was one of the first Latinos I saw on regular TV (save for the ocassional Mexican gardener or maid on Dynasty...I told you I watched inappropriate TV...NOW do you understand me?). The only other one was Eric Estrada on CHiPs.

Eric Estrada Pictures, Images and Photos

Not as good. I mean sure sure, he was sort of hunky by 1980s standards, but he was just a street cop. Ricardo Montalban...well he was something special. I loved his voice and his accent (the way he sounded like almost every man in my family), I loved his white suit, and his teeny little side kick. And most of all I loved the fact that he could be Hispanic without talking like Speedy Gonzalez or looking like the Frito Bandito.

Mmmmm...Fritos...mmmm. Sorry, this pre-wedding diet is making me a little fragile.

Where was I?

If you didn't grow up watching Fantasy Island here's a little taste...try not to hurt yourself running out to BestBuy for the boxed set:



Ricardo, you'll be missed. Hasta luego, amigo.

No comments: