Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Albums that changed my life...

I was just reading this article about albums that shaped a person's life and it made me start thinking about those that shaped mine.

The first album that I remember loving was - and please, don't judge me - Hey, by Julio Iglesias. Here's the English version (not as good) to delight your senses and boggle your musical minds:



A little known fact: my dad was in the entertainment industry and friends with Julio Iglesias. You have to understand that I loved this man. I loved him as passionately as my tiny little five year old brain could possibly understand. So you can understand why the time he called my house and I answered the phone the conversation went something like this:

Me: Blaya residence!
JI: Hello, is your father home?
Me: May I ask who's calling?
JI: It's Julio Iglesias.
Me: (DROP RECEIVER AND RUN FROM ROOM SOBBING HYSTERICALLY THEN, TO MY DAD, It...it...i-i-i-i-t...it's Ju-ju-ju-ju-SOB!-Julio...SOB! JULIO IGLESIAS! SOB!

So you see I've always been this cool.

Another album that really rocked my world was Electric Youth by Debbie Gibson, and specifically this song:



I distinctly recall teasing the crap out of my bangs, tilting my black bowler hat just so and roller skating on my patio to this jam.

Next up: Kenny Rogers' The Gambler:



I believe I've already discussed in this blog just how much I love me some Kenny. I also told you about how my fiance does NOT love him some Kenny. And if he weren't so cute that would totally be a deal breaker. Kenny Rogers reminds me of winters in Colorado when my four siblings and I would cram into a tiny bedroom stuffed with two sets of bunk beds and a trundle bed. It also reminds me of the time we "hanged" my sister's Cabbage Patch Kid Duke from the aforementioned bunk bed using my brother's belt. That did NOT end well. Monika freaked out, ran to the living room to rat us out to my parents, and we all got punished BIG TIME. Damn little sisters, they never have a sense of humor.

Next up, Graceland by Paul Simon. Man I loved that video with Chevy Chase:



Chevy Chase used to be so cool. The Three Amigos remains one of my favorite movies of all times. I think we wore out the tape on our VHS because we watched it so much.

three amigos Pictures, Images and Photos

Anywho, oddly enough Paul Simon reminds me of the Florida Keys and of the apartment my mother painted Pepto Pink and decorated with flamingo accessories. (weird ones...there was a flamingo toilet plunger in the living room, no joke. Also, the bathroom was painted bright yellow which always made us laugh because it was the color of pee. We were so easily amused.)

Ohmigosh, how could I forget?



I maybe loved NKOTB more than I loved Julio Iglesias and, people, this is saying A LOT. I especially loved Joey McIntyre who was the youngest and closest to my age at the time. I had a life sized Joey poster in my room and the rest of the walls were covered in pages I'd ripped out from Big Bopper and Tiger Beat. (Scott Baio anyone?) I'll admit that when I heard NKOTB was getting back together I got a bit squealy. I was extra squealy when they performed on the Today Show and I don't even care that Donny has male pattern baldness and Jordan has probably had his eyes done. I love them just the same.

And now I'll leave you with the one last life changing album...one of the greatest albums of all time and a cornucopia of fodder for the karaoke lovers. Bon Jovi, Slippery When Wet. This one goes out to Julia for reminding me that everyone should seek inspiration from 80s/90s hair bands:

No comments: