Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Dorking out with vampires and hobbits...

It's posts like this one that make me wonder whether I'm hurting my street cred by talking about my dorkiness in such a public forum. And then I remember that I have no street cred and all is well in the world once more.

I think I'm turning into a high school uber-dork. I will explain.

First, I love Harry Potter. (no, this isn't what makes me a dork...or maybe it is but I've gone WAY farther down the path of dorkness so this is really just the tip of the iceberg) I read all the books, I've seen all the movies. I've pre-ordered from Amazon, stayed up too late reading about wizard battles, and I cried when Dumbledore died. (if you don't know who Dumbledore is...seriously, are you living under a rock? Get with the program.) My point is that I really REALLY liked those books and so I was pleasantly surprised that the movie makers so effectively captured the color and essence of Harry Potter in the films. That's hard to do, you know? For example, I loooooooved The DaVinci Code but was horrified by how badly Ron Howard butchered the movie. Although in fairness I may have just been distracted by Tom Hanks' horrible hair:

The Davinci Code Pictures, Images and Photos

Much time has passed since the last Harry Potter book was released and, if I'm being honest, I sort of missed the tween-targeted fantasy easy reading. So you'll understand why I decided to read Twilight (which my friend Robin passed on to me...so really I blame her for all this). And you know what? Surprise, surprise...I liked it. And if I were a 15 year old girl I think I'd be in love with Edward Cullen, the dreamy and moody (not to mention potentially homicidal...that's so hot) 17-year old vampire.

So last night my friend Emma and I went to see the movie and...um...NO.

twilight Pictures, Images and Photos

Three thoughts come to mind:

1. I'm REALLY glad I read the book before going to see the movie because there's no way I would've chosen to read the story after watching that garbage.

2. She is SO ANNOYING. I mean, I understand the whole angst-ridden teenager thing but SERIOUSLY? The shifty-eyed, dramatic swallowing, shallow breathing, "dad, you so don't get me" thing gets REALLY old after awhile. Hint: it got old after the first two minutes...two hours of it was enough to make me want to get my tubes tied.

3. Did anyone notice Robert Pattinson is sort of hot? I'd seen him in UsWeekly and on blogs and things but my only response to those photos was "please wash your hair." But dang does that boy clean up NICE. Perhaps I just love him because he played Cedric Diggory in Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire? Or perhaps it's because I can't resist a brooding piece of chiseled, man-candy with great (read: clean) hair (helloooooo Patrick Dempsey!). But whatever it is that boy is CUTE. Pale, but cute. Maybe a little dirty, but cute.

Long story short - don't waste your time on the movie but do consider picking up the book. I'm currently reading number two (thanks, Emma!) and I'll be sure to report back. I know, I know...you're holding your breath in anticipation...or is that protest? You can thank me later.

Now, if you weren't convinced of my uber-dorkness yet, allow me to throw one more straw on the camel's back. This weekend I TiVo'd ALL THREE Lord of The Rings movies.

Number one was fun. (those hobbits! adorable little imps!) Number two...um...okay, you lost me...but hey, it's three hours of Viggo Mortenson! Hooray!

lord of the rings Pictures, Images and Photos

I'm on to number three tonight and even though I can no longer follow the story line I'm really looking forward to seeing how this ends. But what will I do when it's all over?

I suppose I'll have to join a Dungeons & Dragons club or start attending SciFi conventions...it seems like the logical next step. Who's with me?!

No comments: